Friday, May 15, 2009

Post 364


Since the submissions are closing...and my mind just finally gave out...I tried to do some sketches tonight to no avail...I hit the wall....I decided to post my submission that I had done before the colored pencil version. Hopefully some sleep will renew my mind.

BTW, a few times this week I've had people ask me "You're smart?!?!" in such a surprised fashion following conversations about things I had done when I was a student in school. Like I won a science fair in middle school that went to state dealing with modules that transmitted sound using light...so ambient light would interfere with transmissions. Or, the fact that I was number 15 in my class for a long time and still graduated within the top 6% even with sherking my last semester to work on a college art portfolio (which didn't even get me college credit with a perfect score!). I don't know if it's the fact that I'm an art teacher, but apparently people think that I'm lacking in the intelligence department. But it's both disheartening and highly insulting to see THAT level of surprise. I graduated with honors from college, I didn't take blow off classes. If I wanted to, I could have become a doctor, but I chose what I loved. Is it really that surprising?

I guess the moral of the story is not to make assumptions based on career title.

4 comments:

Vinh-Luan Luu said...

That is true, but have you MET any of the other education majors at UNT? I mean... really...

Craig Zablo said...

Evan, it's a sad to think just how many people think of educators as having to fall back on that career.

Me not stupid... me teach!

Bah, to those surprised that you're smart, it says more about them than you.

Jeremy said...

also i'd speculate that a lot of people seperate left and right brain folks, and often assume that those of us who show and shred of artistic nature tend to be unable to deal with "rigorous" things like science and math.

which is totally dumb.

Daniel Heard said...

This is damn strong Evan. I really like the placement of the adidas stripes and the face plate is totally original. Only thing I could see hurting your chances is the non representational color. I assume the costume is black and white but I can't be sure.
Awesome sir, well done.